The women and men of the Rice University Police Department (RUPD) strive to provide education on crime prevention's best practices through continued education for the students, faculty, and staff, all the while, developing a partnership with the Rice Community.
RUPD provides the community with tools, training programs, and safety information that can be instrumental in ensuring a safer community. Specific focus and attention are paid to trending concerns within the community, related to prevention.
Safety Tips and Helpful Flyers:
- Personal Safety
- Walk or jog in groups of three or more
- Avoid isolated or dark areas
- Travel with confidence and purpose
- Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging
- Know the locations of emergency phones
- Do not use ATMs at night
- Stay alert, and plan ahead for "What if...?"
- Residential / Workplace Safety
- Know your neighbors or coworkers; you are the best one to determine if something doesn't feel right
- Do not prop open exterior doors
- If you come in through an electronic key card access door, do not allow strangers to enter with you
- Always lock your door when you leave
- Lock your door while you sleep or when you work late
- Get involved, if you believe you are witnessing suspicious behavior or an incident criminal in nature, call RUPD immediately
- Protecting Your Property
- Register your bicycle with the RUPD
- Mark and record your belongings with RUPD
- Keep your car locked - Store items of value in the trunk
- Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up
- Helpful Safety Flyers